Are you looking to optimize your website to get more leads? Wondering what are the best lead generation tools for your website?
Let’s not beat around the bush here – Generating leads is, without a doubt, the hardest thing to do. And so, it’s not surprising that, according to one study, 61% of marketers struggle with lead generation.
But it gets worse…even if you win more leads, it doesn’t mean that you’ll get new sales. According to the same research, 79% of leads won’t ever convert into new business.
The good news – There’s still the 21% that will, and in this post, I’ll share with you some tools that will help you generate those leads from people who visit your website.
Excited? Then let’s get right to it.
What to Look for in a Lead Generation Tool?
FACT: There are hundreds, if not thousands, of lead generation tools out there. So, which ones are good for you? What should you look for in the best lead gen tool for your website?
Well, I believe it comes down to six factors:
- Ease of use: A tool must be easy to use for everyone and anyone in your organization. It should be simple to install, pleasant to look at, intuitive, easy to update, easy to remove, and overall smooth to work with.
- Accessibility: The best lead generation tools are cloud-based. A simple log-in, and you can access them from anywhere to see, edit, and build your campaigns.
- Impact on your website performance: Tools meant to capture website visitors’ info generally add load to the website and affect website performance. You must ensure that the tool you choose doesn’t slow your site or mess with the visitor experience. For example, SocialIntents loads asynchronously, and hence it doesn’t slow down your site.
- Customer support: A software of any sort is prone to errors. And you certainly don’t want to waste your time figuring out solutions to the problem with your lead generation tool, right? Therefore, always choose a software company with a professional and knowledgeable support team.
- Integrations: Lead generation is a multiple-step process. It needs identifying the visitor, showing a relevant marketing message, collecting the visitor info, storing the collected info, qualifying the lead, segmenting the leads, and so on. A single tool won’t do it all, so you need proper integrations to tie the whole process seamlessly. For example, You can integrate SocialIntents with Mailchimp for email newsletters or with Salesforce for CRM via Zapier.
- Pricing: It goes without saying – The ideal tool should be within your budget, but always choose software based on the value it adds (meaning, consider the abovementioned reasons first) to your business and not how affordable it is.
16 Best Lead Generation Tools For a Website
Below, I have categorized and listed the best lead generation tools per category. Each type of tool is essential to lead generation, so I suggest installing one from each category.
Live Chat Software
Basically, a live chat software adds a live chat widget to your website, which your visitors can use to chat with your sales or support agent(s) and vice-versa.
With good live chat software, you can trigger personalized messages, solve visitors’ queries, use a chatbot, and do a lot more to familiarize website visitors with your business and convert them into warm leads. Moreover, 42% of customers prefer giving personal information through live chat, making it a must for lead generation.
Like most live chat software, Social Intents (disclaimer: this is our tool) lets you add the live chat feature on your website.
But there’s more…
With Social Intents, you can have a real-time chat with your visitors and customers directly from Slack or Microsoft Teams. For it, you simply have to set channels from where your best-fit agent can see the chat request(s), pick up the chat, and start conversing.
Besides simple chatting features, SocialIntents also includes:
- File sharing,
- Rich messages,
- Typing indicator,
- Chat notifications,
- Chat transcripts,
- Canned messages and shortcuts,
- Chat routing, and more.
- Customizable Chat Widget: Fit your brand with custom colors, logos, personalized text, default responses, and styles.
- Unlimited agents: Set up as many team members as you want to.
- Reply shortcuts: Add canned responses to reply instantly.
- Slack and MS Teams integration: Connect live chat with Slack or MS Teams, and let your agents answer chat requests from your internal communications tool.
- Custom Chatbots: Use Dialogflow and create an automated chatbot to engage and answer your visitors.
14-day free trial
- Starter: $29/month
- Basic: $49/month
- Pro: $99/month
- Business: $199/month
Popup Builder Software
Popups are likely the most popular lead generation tool since forever. And they work. A typical popup can convert nearly 3% of visitors into leads. However, you can achieve ~10% conversion rates as the top ones do if done well.
Wisepops lets you create stunning popups of every size, style, and color from scratch or using its 60+ pre-built templates. You can use it to collect feedback, share announcements, promote coupons, convert website visitors into leads, get phone calls, and a lot more.
Besides design, you can use its targeting features to trigger personalized popups at the right time and to a pre-set group of people.
- Drag-and-drop builder: Create your popups the way you like them with Wisepops’ WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) builder.
- Responsive: Create popups for all devices
- Plug Wisepops everywhere: No matter you own an e-commerce store or a B2B business, on Magento or WordPress, Wisepops will work on your website.
- Integrations: Send collected leads to your email platform, CRM, or marketing automation tool.
- Powerful targeting: Display popups based on exit intent, scroll depth, URL parameters, device, time on page, and more.
You can try all Wisepops features with its 14-day free trial. Past that, you have to choose a plan depending on pageviews:
- 100,000 monthly views: €49/month
- 250,000 monthly views: €99/month
- 500,000 monthly views: €149/month
- 1,000,000 monthly views: €249/month
Compared to Wisepops, OptinMonster’s templates and style feel a bit dated. However, it compensates for it by providing a range of popups and a solid lead generation platform.
You can use lightbox popups (popups that dim the background and appear on visitors’ windows), floating bars, gamified wheels (to attract visitors’ attention and collect their email at the end of a simple game like lucky wheels), and more to get visitors’ details. As for targeting, you can send exit-intent popups, scroll-based popups, and popups based on visitor’s location.
- 100+ Templates: Use one of the 100+ templates to build popups for your site.
- A/B testing: A/B test your popups to get the most conversions.
- Targeting: Send popups based on the visitor’s device, geolocation, cookie, past interaction with your website, and more.
- Basic (for 2,500 pageviews): $14/month
- Plus (for 10,000 pageviews): $30/month
- Pro (for 25,000 pageviews): $47/month
- Growth (for 100,000 pageviews): $80/month
Sleeknote helps you create sleek popups for lead generation. To collect emails, you can choose from its 120+ popup templates and create giveaway popups, discount popups, newsletter popups, etc.
It’s especially good for ecommerce businesses. You can show dynamic product recommendations, upsell, cross-sell, promote sale products, prevent cart abandonment, and more on top of lead generation popups.
The main drawback of Sleeknote is it’s a tad expensive than the other two.
- Dynamic product recommendation: Show complementary products using popups to increase AOV.
- Easy-to-use builder: Build beautiful popups even if you are not a designer.
- 1200+ integrations: Connect it with your favorite CRM, CMS, marketing platform, email marketing tool, etc.
7-day free trial
- Lite (for 25,000 visitors/month): €49/month
- Basic (for 50,000 visitors/month): €59/month
- Plus (for 125,000 visitors/month): €114/month
- Pro (for 300,000 visitors/month): €225/month
- Premium (for 500,000 visitors/month): €369/month
Email Marketing Tools
Email marketing returns $42 on every $1 spent. And each email campaign starts from collecting relevant emails (in other words, leads). Therefore, most comprehensive email marketing tools act as lead generation tools as well.
Omnisend is an omnichannel marketing tool used chiefly on ecommerce stores. You can use it to create email campaigns, SMS campaigns, push notifications, marketing flows, funnels, and a lot more.
Amongst its many features, it has lead generation tools like popups, landing pages, gamified wheel of fortune, and signup boxes. Needless to say, if you’ve set marketing flows, Omnisend will start pushing emails, SMSs, and notifications as soon as someone enters their details.
- Email collection: Use Omnisend’s popups, sign-up boxes, and landing pages to collect visitors’ emails.
- Pre-built workflows: It has a range of workflow templates that helps convert visitors, recover visitors, cross-sell and upsell, and win back customers.
- Laser-target segmentation: Segment customer data to promote relevant messages and increase conversions.
Omnisend’s plans depend on the number of contacts. To send to 5000 email addresses, Omnisend’s annual packages cost:
- Free: $0/month; up to 15,000 emails/month
- Standard: $48/month; up to 60,000 emails/month
- Pro: $96/month; up to 75,000 emails/month
6. Constant Contact
Constant Contact is one of the top email marketing tools that also help with lead generation. However, there’s only a signup form option for leads collection. You can customize the form however you like and with ease.
- Intuitive editor: Create forms easily, even if you’re not a designer.
- Mobile-optimized forms: Constant Contact creates mobile-first forms, so they’ll look good and load fast on mobile.
- Other email marketing features: Use list segmentation, email flows, marketing automation, and more.
1-month free trial
- Email: Starting at $20/month
- Email Plus: Starting at $45/month
Mailchimp is a veteran email marketing software company for small businesses. Today, its products range from email software to website building software. And somewhere in between, they have lead generation tools as well.
You can use its sign-up forms to capture contact information. Alternatively, use its landing page feature to get visitors’ details.
- Custom pop-up forms: Create sign-up forms and display them wherever and whenever you want.
- Targeted messaging: Segment the contacts and send targeted messages for maximum impact.
- Automation tools: Build customized email path, schedule your campaigns, trigger pre-built journeys (welcome email series, cart abandonment recovery emails. etc.), and more with Mailchimp.
Landing Page Creation Tools
Sometimes known as ”lead capture pages,” landing pages are specific web pages optimized for conversions. Businesses direct their ad traffic to these pages for maximum returns (According to Instapage, customers who create personalized post-click landing pages for their ads have 34% higher conversions than those who don’t.).
To build such pages, use:
Simply put, Leadpages helps you create high-converting landing pages. How? It has a range of high-converting page templates for lead capture, checkout, consultation, giveaways, discounts, lead magnets, newsletters, holidays, and more. You can pick one, customize it per your need, and send traffic to the page to convert visitors to leads.
Besides, Leadpages features include popup forms and alert bars to convert visitors into subscribers and customers.
- Numerous templates: Pick from a range of seasonal and evergreen templates to capture visitors’ attention and details.
- Integrations: Integrate analytics tools, CRM, email marketing software, payment software, calendar software, etc.
14-day free trial. Then, yearly plans cost:
- Standard: $27/month
- Pro: $59/month
- Advanced: $239/month
Marketers have made over 4 million landing pages using Instapage. It has 500+ landing page templates across categories like app download, business inquiry, competitor comparison, deals, course registration, event registration, special promotion, trial signup, and more. Pick one, and edit it as per your need.
You can even A/B test landing pages and choose the best one using analytic insights. What’s more, you can forward collected data to your sales and marketing platforms (automation, email, CRM, e-commerce, analytics, advertising, etc.) using its integrations.
- Fast pages: Create lightning-fast landing pages.
- Admap: Create visually appealing and high-converting ad campaigns using Instapage.
- Testing: A/B test your landing pages to optimize for more leads.
- Team collaboration: Let everyone on your team put forth their ideas and edit the landing page.
- Building: $199/year
Unbounce offers 100+ landing page templates to play with. Besides, it gives popups and sticky bar features to convert visitors into leads. Plus, Unbounce, too, lets you A/B test your landing pages for conversions.
- Smart Traffic: Create multiple variants of landing pages and, using AI, Unbounce will automatically route visitors to the page where they are most likely to convert.
- Integrations: Integrate with one of Unbounce’s integration partner tools or use Webhooks or Zapier integration for more.
14-day free trial. Then, annual plans cost:
- Launch: $72/month
- Optimize: $108/month
- Accelerate: $180/month
- Scale: $270/month
Referral Program Software
A Nielsen study found 92% of consumers trust earned media, such as recommendations from friends and family, above all other advertising forms. And referral marketing is the fastest way to get your customers to share your product/service with their friends and family.
Simply put, referral marketing means to incentivize current customers for every new customer they bring. Businesses of all sizes use referral programs to build awareness, grow leads, and get new customers.
Refersion helps ecommerce businesses create affiliate/referral programs. Once set up, your customers can sign up with the program and share your products with their social circle to earn a commission.
It integrates with Shopify, Bigcommerce, Woocommerce, Magento, Chargebee, LaunchPass, Stripe, and Salesforce commerce cloud.
- Affiliate Dashboard: Track clicks, conversions, and sales from the Refersion dashboard.
- Auto coupon code creation: Refersion automatically creates a trackable coupon code for all customers.
14-day free trial
- Professional: $89/month
InviteReferrals is a good referral management tool for sites hosted on non-ecommerce platforms that Refersion doesn’t support. Moreover, it is easy to use, allows tiered rewards, prevents fraud, and gives precise data.
- Supports multiple platforms: InviteReferral’s widgets work on all types of websites. You just have to embed the JS code it generates.
- In-depth analytics: Track everything from shares to clicks to conversions.
- Social sharing options: Your customers can easily share their referral links to social media.
14-day free trial. If billed annually,
- Basic: $79/month
- Standard: $199/month
Best External Lead Generation Tools
The abovementioned were the tools you can install/embed on your website to generate leads. Now, before I wrap up, let me briefly share a few tools that you can use externally (i.e., outside your website) to find clients or customers.
Sales Prospecting Tools
These tools help you find potential customers and their contact details. You can then cold email or cold call/message them to make them aware of your product or service and eventually convert them into paying customers or clients.
Uplead helps you find B2B prospects with 95% data accuracy. In addition, you can add filters like “industry,” “revenue,” “company,” etc., from the Uplead dashboard to find the most relevant potential customers.
- Massive database: Search from its 54 million+ contacts.
- Email verification: Verify emails before adding them to your email software to decrease bounce rate.
- Email finder: Find the email address of a specific person from a specific company.
- Essentials: $99/month
- Plus: $199/month
- Professional: $399/month
BuiltWith helps your find prospects based on their website tech stack. For example, if you sell Shopify apps, you can search for websites using the Shopify platform. Plus, you can add app-based filters like “Shopify stores that use Klaviyo” or filter stores by revenue numbers.
- Technology-Based Lists: BuiltWith tracks over 50,000 technologies to give you in-depth data.
- Advanced filtering: Add filters related to tech use, tech spends, revenue, site traffic, etc.
Cold email software
Once you have email lists from the prospecting software, you will need a cold email tool to send mass emails.
(By the way, you can’t use most of the email marketing tools I mentioned earlier because the receiver hasn’t opted to receive emails from you, and it’s against those tools’ policy.)
GMass lets you send mass and customized emails to your lead list from Gmail. You just have to install the GMass chrome extension, add the lead list on your Google Sheet, select the list from your Gmail, and send the emails like you usually do.
- Mass emails in Gmail: Send many emails at once.
- Analytics: Track open rate, follow-ups, replies, bounce rate, and more from the GMass dashboard
- Auto follow-up: Set timer and triggers to follow up with the prospect.
- Standard: $12.95/month
- Premium: $19.95/month
Mailshake is a sales automation and engagement software that lets you cold email from its dashboard. You simply have to upload a CSV file to fill the leads. Then, you can write and personalize your emails right from Mailshake and send it.
- Integrations: Fill your CRM with leads as you engage with prospects via Mailshake.
- A/B testing: A/B test your emails to find the highest converting emails.
- Analytics: Know your open rate, click rate, reply rate, and more.
Almost no potential customer simply discovers a website and buys from it. Instead, they first look at all their options to make an informed decision. By collecting such prospects’ information, you can be in front of their eyes all the time (with emails, SMSs, targeted ads, and more), which makes them more inclined to buy from you.
How do you collect the most relevant info? With the types of tools I discussed in this listicle:
- Live chat tool – SocialIntents
- Popups tools – WisePops, OptinMonster, and Sleeknote
- Email marketing tools – Omnisend, Constant Contact, and Mailchimp
- Landing page builders – Leadpages, Instapages, and Unbounce
- Referral marketing tools – Refersion and InviteReferrals
Hopefully, this article helped you discover some quality lead generation tools. Now, add one of each category and capture those leads.